Church Fenton Community Hub was set up on 28th November 2017 to look, primarily, at the feasibility of keeping The White Horse Public House in the village of Church Fenton. This was following a resolution on 23rd November 2017 by Church Fenton Parish Council to “submit a formal expression of interest to be considered as a bidder for the White Horse”.
The White Horse Public House has been operating in Church Fenton since 1881, providing catering and restaurant facilities. Sadly, it stopped trading in August 2016, and but, due to a small group of determined people, a proactive and forward thinking Parish Council and support from many of the parishioners of Church Fenton, the pub was purchased by the PC using a Public Works Loan, approved by the government.
Following on from the purchase, Church Fenton Parish Council requested that a Community Benefit Society (CBS) be established to provide an ongoing management structure, to act as landlord, on behalf of the PC. CFCH Ltd became registered as a Community Benefits Society on 19th April 2018, and have since signed a lease with experienced tenants, H & P Pubs, who also run The Boundary House at Methley.
In order to manage the period whilst the pub is being refurbished (and therefore unable to generate any income) CFCH Ltd launched a share offer to raise funds. This offer closed on 1st October 2018, and has resulted in having almost 200 shareholders, and exceeding the goal of trying to raise £50,000. Being a shareholder entitles a “say” on who is on the Management Committee, as well as how any surplus income may be spent in the future.
This has all been possible as a result of the commitment and support of the villagers of Church Fenton, and other surrounding areas, and it is hoped that everyone can once again enjoy the benefits of The White Horse, Church Fenton for many years to come. For more details about the The White Horse please visit their website.